Saturday, January 14, 2012

Feature: Top 10 Best Games I Played in 2011

I'm not exactly one who's known for being able to keep up with the times.  Sure, I follow gaming news regularly, and I usually know what's what about the world at large, but when it comes to playing new releases, I always seem to trip and fall on my face while everyone else gets a head start.

That's not to say that there aren't SOME games that I buy day one.  However, if I were to look at my backlog of games, it would become increasingly apparent that the titles I've played this year are...shall we say, dated?

"Hey guys, did you know that they're making a second
Mario Galaxy?  I might want to get that eventually!"

So, amidst all of the Top 10 best of 2011 lists sprouting up all over the Internet, I thought I might as well contribute one of my own.  The following is a countdown of the 10 best games I've played this year, regardless of when they were released.  Because being topical is just sooooo predictable (albeit practical).



#10: BIT. TRIP Flux
Released in early 2011 (See?  I do keep up with things!), this game marked the 6th and final installment in the BIT. TRIP saga.  In my opinion, it couldn't have ended on a better note.

Pictured Above: Catharsis
...No seriously, that's the name of the level...

Throughout the entire BIT. TRIP series, each new installment took advantage of a different genre of game, and added rhythmic elements to it.  There was a PONG clone, a platformer, and even a Shoot 'em Up.  However, this time around, Flux decided to return to its roots with the traditional PONG remake that started it all.  Despite this change in tradition, the game is by no means lacking any kind of fresh ideas.  The new rhythmic patterns, along with the crisp and modern looking visuals, help to make Flux a standout title from the rest of the series.

But pretty colors and sounds alone do not a game make.

What really gives Flux its appeal comes from the conclusion of a story.  If you followed Commander Video through the series, from birth to inevitable death, you will experience the magnitude of the message that this game is trying to convey.  Commander Video's journey is ending, and he's moving on.  It's time you should too.

Beeping and blooping little rectangles and dots have never
brought me closer to tears...


#9: Sonic Colors
Ever since the Genesis' Sonic 2, I never really paid attention to Sega's little blue mascot.  The most I ever did was sit and chuckle to myself as I witnessed the hedgehog slowly get his dignity stripped away from him with each new installment.  In all honesty, nothing about Sonic really appealed to me, but something about Colors seemed to grab my attention.

I blame the criminally catchy trailer theme.

I picked it up on a whim, and I don't regret my purchase one bit.  Colors reminded me what I truly enjoyed about my first Sonic experience.  The pacing was fast, the music was memorable, and the levels were dynamic.  On top of all of that, Sonic managed to do the impossible and make me enjoy even more things about the franchise. 

The game has a sense of humor that's equivalent to a good Saturday morning cartoon, and I found myself chuckling and grinning like an idiot on more than a few ocassions as I played.  Also, I was pleased to discover that Sonic's power-ups were actually fun to use, instead of just being arbitrary and stupid.

Imagine something like this, but with a lot less suck.

All in all, my re-introduction to the Sonic universe could not have made a better impression on me.  I can only hope that this will lead to a streak of excellence in the future for the blue hero.


#8: Cave Story
So apparently I'm REALLY late to the party on this one, but that's not going to stop me from talking about this game!  Cave Story is the embodiment of what made games fun to play in the first place.  The weapons and power-ups you get are all varied and fun to use, and the story and characters will draw you in as you unravel the mystery hidden within the walls of the caverns.

Oh, and it's all in charming 16-bit.

When I think about it now, there really aren't many qualms I have with this title.  Pixel, the creator, did a stellar job in crafting a neatly packaged experience without any pitfalls.  The soundtrack is catchy and upbeat.  The levels are varied and encourage exploration, ala Metroid and Castlevania.  The story is both interesting and concise, with plot twists along the way.  To top it all off, the game is long enough to be satisfying without overstaying its welcome.  As a whole, Cave Story is a game that I can find little to complain about, and I couldn't be happier to have that problem.

Great, now I want to play it again...


#7: Dead or Alive: Dimensions
I must have blacked out when I played this game, because I just can't believe that I've sunk over 40 hours of my life into it.  I've never played a fighting game in my life (save for a few instances at arcades), but Dimensions offered me something different.  The problem is, I have no idea what that "something" might be, even now.

It definitely wasn't the story, because the narrative was a jumbled, compiled mess of characters and continuity that only served to confuse the hell out of me.

I couldn't explain it even if I wanted to...

It also wasn't the scantily clad characters, because pretty much every fighting game has those...

If you're salivating at the prospect of seeing this in 3D,
I'm already judging you.

Instead, I want to say that I enjoyed this title simply because it never ceased to be boring.  I know that's a pretty broad, if not somewhat generic, reason, but that's really all I've got.  The rock-paper-scissors system of strikes, throws, and holds made each and every fight unique and intense.  Pulling off a counter hold always felt satisfying as you threw your bewildered opponent to the ground, and grabbing your opponent for a throw was an exciting spectacle to behold on its own.

Actually, pretty much the entire game was an entertaining spectacle.  All of the characters moved fluidly, which made countering and throwing seem natural and organic as the fight progressed.  Also, the environments were dynamic and changing, which complimented the frantic yet strategic gameplay.

Get punched out of a window?  Keep fighting on the floor below!

So, if I narrow it down, Dead or Alive's natural-feeling fight sequences, coupled with its entertaining and dynamic visuals, help to craft a game that I've enjoyed for hours on end, despite its rather noticeable flaws.


#6: Braid
Everyone and their cat seemed to recommend Braid to me whenever the conversation of downloadable games came up.  Finally, after a few years of procrastination, I decided to see what all the fuss was about.  As it turned out, Braid was actually a game that deserved all the fuss it got.

Perhaps it deserved even a bit more fuss...

The ambiguous story that Braid tells is one that is as confusing as it is thought provoking.  It's told intermittently with sections of prose that attempt to explain the meaning behind the main character Tim's existence, and the goals he's trying to accomplish.  At first it seems like your generic "save the princess" storyline, but it soon evolves into something much more complicated (and dark).  The slow progression of the game is punctuated by an explosive finale that is not only surprising, but also begging for discussion.

The texts require more than just surface-level thinking
in order to interpret...

However, even if someone completely ignores the narrative of the game, he or she is still in for a genuinely charming and entertaining experience.  Manipulating time on a whim never gets old, and the new mechanics that each world introduces keeps the game fresh and interesting.  Braid continuously surprises by constantly providing new ways to screw with time in ways that would put Doc Brown to shame.

...And did I mention it looks gorgeous?

If you haven't played Braid yet, you owe it to yourself to pick if up now.  It deserves the praise it gets, without a doubt.


#5: Rayman Origins
I feel like I've already said enough about why I love this game.  However, I suppose for the heck of it I can try to say a bit more...

Plus it gives me a chance to show off more awesome screenshots.

Unfortunately, as predicted, Origins drastically under performed in its sales, resulting in a rather hefty price cut.  It's a shame, because the game is endearingly charming, with its carefully hand-drawn animations and backdrops.  It employs a sense of humor that will draw a smile out of even the most cynical of people, and its soundtrack will do the exact same thing.

On top of the charm, the game challenges you with a steady difficulty curve.  The trials you face are tough, but not impossible.  Everything seems fair, which keeps the player from getting frustrated.

Even when things seem to get incredibly difficult...

The entire experience of Origins is neat and tidy.  There's no filler or unwanted leftovers.  Just pure, unadulterated insanity of the highest caliber.  And I wouldn't have it any other way.


#4: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
...Crap...Another game that I've said plenty about already.  Well, I suppose I might as well try to say something else...

This guy is awesome.
There, does that count?

I loved 999's characters, with their intricate back-stories and hidden agendas.  I loved the storyline, which gave the player a sense of ever-present danger lurking around every corner.  I loved the fact that it provided something new and refreshing to play, with its heavy emphasis on reading and decision-making. 

Don't encourage me to talk about this
for too long, because I will.

...But I'm pretty much just rambling at this point.  In short, 999 is a text-based adventure for people who don't think they can get into text-based adventures.  Seriously, just go pick up a copy wherever you can find it.  You won't be sorry.


#3: Bastion
After playing games for so long, I've reached a point where I'm starting to crave originality and novelty.  There was a time when playing a game like Call of Duty was enough to satisfy me indefinitely.  Now, I can't even focus my attention on it for more than an hour or so.  Heck, even Mario is starting to grow stale to me.  If only something original and creative were to be released.  Something I've never seen before.  Something I...

Oh...Oh my...

In a sea of generic games and overused concepts, Bastion shines like a glorious pearl amidst a bed of rocks.  This action RPG had no problem sucking me in right off the bat.  From the moment I heard the narrator's suave, deep-toned voice, to the point where I was walking on the ground that was building up at my feet, I knew that I was in for an awesome experience.

...And that was just the first minute or so.

The amount of depth that's found in this little downloadable title is impressive.  The possibilities for customization are plentiful, and the amount of stuff to do is abundant without being overwhelming.  However, I'd have to say that the best part of the game could be pinned down on one sole character.

This guy.

Rucks, the narrator, who recounts everything you do as you do it, is such a pleasure to listen to.  The story he tells is full of emotion, and he delivers it accordingly.  This man never said a single word that I didn't find endearing or interesting.  Without the narrator, Bastion still would have been a great game, with its varied combat, gorgeous visuals, and memorable soundtrack.  However, it was this man's simple voice that turned it into an absolutely stellar title.


#2: Final Fantasy X
I can't even explain why I decided to play this game in 2011 in the first place.  I hadn't read any reviews about it, so I didn't know what to expect.  Yet there it was, sitting on my shelf for no discernable reason.  Who would have thought that I'd been ignoring such a gem for such a long time?

"Don't worry, he'll play our game soon.  I promise."

On the surface, FFX plays like your standard Final Fantasy game.  There's turn-based combat (which I greatly prefer for games like this) as well as random encounters.  You level up your characters, upgrade their weapons, and yada yada yada...

Look, all of that stuff is great, and it's engaging, but it's not what I loved the most about this game.  The awesome summoning spells, stellar limit break sequences, and bad-ass looking weaponry weren't responsible for drawing me into the game.  No, instead it was the story, the journey of a group of heroes, that kept me playing for hours on end.

And what a journey it was.

This game has more heart than anything I've played in a long time.  Characters face struggle and hardships, yet they still manage to comfort each other and keep everyone's heads up.  Some moments along the way were heartwarming, while others were downright devastating.

Also, this game is responsible for making me do something I've never done before while playing.  It made me despise a character.  Not because he was poorly developed or annoying, though.  No, I hated him for his actions, his intentions, and his heartlessness.

Screw you, man.

There are few games in my life that have triggered some kind of emotion from me.  However, any game that triggers any kind of emotion from me (aside from fear) never fails to blow me away.  Final Fantasy X was the first I've encountered to accomplish such a feat, and I thank it merely for existing.

...But seriously, screw you, Seymour...


#1: Mass Effect 2
Oh man, where to even begin...

First of all, I should probably state that I had unreasonably high hopes for this game.  I expected it to blow me away in every regard, based on the praise I saw it was receiving.  With expectations this high, I was shocked to discover that it had met each and every one of them.

In terms of basic gameplay, the combat was visceral and exciting.  Blasting away at my enemies while seeking new cover was engaging, and it never got old.  All of the weapons felt powerful, and the biotics were more varied than they were in the first game, allowing for different ways to take down an enemy.

No problems with combat.  No siree.

After beating the first Mass Effect, I expected more than just a few great things to happen in ME2's story.  As I said before, it did not disappoint.  The storyline, character development, and plot twists kept me playing for hours on end.

Engaging story?  You betcha.

What I'm probably most impressed by is the game's natural balance between dialogue and action.  Sometimes, simply engaging in an intense conversation with someone was just as exciting as blowing up a bunch of baddies.  The game definitely knows how to set a tone to keep the player interested.

Another aspect that blew me away was the fact that you could witness the impact of the choices you've made throughout the game.  Even decisions from the first game popped up, which helped to create a universe of continuity that I was responsible for crafting with my own actions.  Because of this, the entire experience felt very personal and relatable.

"This is my universe!  I run the show here!"

Combine all of this with a brilliant musical score and high quality voice acting, and you've got a recipe for the best game I've played all year.  Here's hoping that Mass Effect 3 will live up to the unearthly hype that this game has invoked in me.  Until then, though, I'll just be enjoying what I have, thank you very much.

...And I should probably get started on Half-Life 2, anyway...

3 comments:

  1. Nice Information! I personally really appreciate your article. This is a great website. I will make sure that I stop back again!.
    upcoming video games

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an unwelcoming sign for him, and as you would expect, this leads to a wide range of missions and intense gameplay moments that you need to overcome in order to find out the truth and save our planet. http://giantcheats.com/brawl-stars-hack-free-gems-cheats/

    ReplyDelete

You. Yes you, with the keyboard and the dead-eyed stare. Did you like the article? Despise it? Let me know in the comments. Be it good or bad, feedback will eventually inspire me to suck less.