Saturday, March 10, 2012

Music: Top 16 Best Video Game Intro/Title Themes

Man, I love me some good video game music.  In fact, one of the best ways to get me excited about a game is to throw an awesome intro track at me right out of the gate.  Title songs set the mood for the entire game, and they're in charge of giving the player the ever important first impression.

"Yup, this game already kicks ass!"

The following are some of the best title themes that have graced my ears throughout my years of gaming.  Whenever I reached the intro screen, I would find my thumb lingering over the "Start" button, reluctant to let the music stop.


#16: Resident Evil: Revelations


I'll admit it right now: I'm a sucker for piano.  This track manages to push a dark and foreboding feel that really resonates with the rest of the game (at least, during the ship sections).  Stranded and alone, a single violin pierces the air as the track progresses and the deep piano continues.  A perfect track for such a game, and surprisingly pleasant to listen to, despite its dark tone.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Aw yeah, I'm ready to bust up some zombies!...As long as those bastards don't find me first...Oh God..."


#15: Fatal Frame II


While similar to Revelations in its creepy use of light piano, Fatal Frame II manages to strangle the player in a chilling atmosphere right off the bat with its first few notes.  Accompanied only by an image of two long haired children in kimonos standing next to each other, the music works its magic to create an undeniable sense of dread that sucks the player in and gives them a small taste of the dangers to come.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Oh balls, this is kinda freaky.  What kind of horrible, horrible mistake have I made in choosing to play this?..."


#14: Final Fantasy III


An orchestrated version of an awesome song...on my DS?  Hell yes, please.  Maybe it's just the nostalgic factor for me, but hearing a trumpet blare out "Eternal Winds" near the beginning just seals the deal for me every time.  The whole piece gives off this epic sense of adventure, which is exactly what the player's in for when the game starts.  Just hearing this music makes me want to play it all over again...

What the Player is Thinking:  "Yup, this is fantasy all right.  But man, why am I getting so excited?..."


#13: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time


Whimsical.  That pretty much sums up this piece in a nutshell.  The lone ocarina playing modestly throughout is simple, yet effective.  It builds up this sense of wonder, while at the same time setting up an excitement for adventure.  I'm astounded by how much of an impact a simple tune like this can have on a player.  And yet, I have no reason to be surprised after I start listening to it again.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Damn, I need to buy an Ocarina now.  This song must be learned!"


#12: Donkey Kong Country


I'm not ashamed to chalk this one up to nostalgia.  Still, the tune is catchy and upbeat enough for anyone to enjoy, and I know I'm not the only one who shares a special connection with this song.  It's a melody that will undoubtedly stay in my mind forever, and it perfectly captures, the silly, cartoonish spirit of the game.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Oh, how silly!  A game about monkeys.  This should be fun!"

What the Player is Thinking 10 Years from Now:  "Oh God, my childhood.  I want it back..."


#11: Monster Hunter Tri


Before Tri, I had never played a Monster Hunter game in my life.  Thankfully, when I fired up my Wii with the disc inside, my ears were promptly assaulted by this glorious fast-paced orchestra track.  Adventure, excitement, and danger all permeate through this piece, and I sat with my mouth open as I let it all sink in.  Monster Hunter Tri makes a fantastic first impression, and the game never seems to change it no matter how many hours I play.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Holy crap!  What's going on?!  Everything's so loud and playing really fast!  Am I supposed to keep up with this?  Oh geez, what was that?"


#10: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box


Okay, so this might be cheating.  Diabolical Box's title theme is actually the Main Theme from Professor Layton's first adventure.  So technically, it's just a recycled song cut and pasted onto the title screen.  But honestly, I don't really care.  The music is awesome, and how often can you say that about a song that features an accordion as a main instrument?

What the Player is Thinking:  "Where's my monocle?  I need to do something polite and gentlemanly, posthaste!"


#9: Skyrim


Yeah, this song just had to be somewhere on the list.  Even on the most basic level, the music simply bleeds manliness and testosterone.  Not only that, but the player is given the sense of embarking on an epic quest of adventure and exploration, which is perfect, considering the content.  The Elder Scrolls games have never really been about getting to the end credits.  Instead, they focus more on discovery, and boldly venturing into uncharted territory.  The gung-ho nature of this song captures the essence of this spirit, then throws in an awesome choir just for kicks.

What the Player is Thinking:  "I have absolutely no idea what they're saying, but for some reason I want to climb a mountain right now."


#8: BIT. TRIP Runner


In a series that centers on music and rhythm, the BIT. TRIP games are practically expected to have awesome title themes.  The intro music to Runner is no exception.  Sure, the song wasn't specifically made for the game, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't fit perfectly.  Upbeat, sporadic, non-stop goodness comes in a constant barrage as the player chooses what to do next in the menu.  The almost out of control nature of the song seems to reflect the fast-paced and exciting content of the game fairly well.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Is this what it sounds like when robots go to a dance club?  Christ, the future is now!"


#7: Pokemon Red/Blue


Say what you will about the simplicity and outdated nature of this song, but it has touched the lives of millions of kids across the world.  Almost everyone who's played video games knows this tune, and they all have very fond memories of it.  I'm not really sure what makes it so special.  Sure, it was catchy enough, but perhaps it's what the song represents that makes it stay in our minds. 

That epic sense of wonder and magic that came with exploring the world of Pokemon.  That excitement you feel when you find a new creature to add to your party.  The pride that surges through you after you topple yet another gym leader.  All of that is encompassed into one song, and it throttles the player with it all at once.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Oh boy, this is exciting!  Whatever 'Pokemon' is, I bet I'm gonna have a lot of fun with it!"

What the Player is Thinking 10 Years from Now:  "Damn, those were some of the best days of my childhood, and I'll never get to experience them again...Kick-ass tune, though..."


#6: Cave Story


Even if you've never played Cave Story in your life, just give this song a listen for at least 10 seconds.  If you aren't bobbing your head by that point, either you're in a neck brace, or there is something seriously wrong with you.  The charm of this song is undeniable, and its upbeat rhythms make it almost impossible to hate.  Sure, the happy tune may not fit perfectly with the rest of the game's tone, but that can be disregarded due to the fact that the song is catchy as hell.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Alright, I've gotta press start sometime.  Just as soon as I can actually focus on the screen without moving around so much..."


#5: Bastion


This one took me by complete surprise.  It takes quite a while for the true nature of the song to come out.  Instead, the game lets the tune simmer for a bit, with nice calming acoustics.  I was just browsing the menus when it really started to kick in.  At that point, I was really excited to start up the game.  The energetic drums and unusual sounding instruments directly represented the uniqueness of the entire game, and they became a motif that I heard in countless other tracks as I played.  This is definitely one song that I'll remember for quite a long time.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Huh, that sounds kinda nice...Oh...Oh!  Snap!  I've never heard something like this before!  What exactly am I in for with this game?..."


#4: Super Smash Bros. Brawl


When the Wii was first introduced, one of the questions that was asked the most among gamers was something along the lines of, "So when are we going to see a new Smash Bros?"  Fans were later delighted to see that a new entry to the series was in progress.  After years of playing Melee, players were finally given a taste of the new evolution to the well-known and respected series.  And this song was the first thing they heard.  That moment alone was undeniably awesome, and the song remains epic and recognizable to this very day.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Oh man, how could they have exceeded my expectations for a Smash Bros game?  This is freakin' awesome!"


#3: Sonic Colors


I can't put into words what I love about this song so much.  The lyrics are cheesy, and everything sounds synthesized in some way or another (which I usually hate).  But damn it, the tune is freakin' catchy and there is no way I can deny that.  The tempo is fast-paced, and the notes practically assault the ears with their constant pulses.  The Sonic games have always been about going fast, and this song does nothing to change that fact. 

What the Player is Thinking:  "Holy crap, am I high, or am I just dreaming?  Either way, I have no idea what's going on, but for some reason, I don't want it to stop..."


#2: Final Fantasy X


"Beautiful" just doesn't cut it with this piece.  As I said before, I have a huge soft spot for pianos, but this one just seems like a cut above the rest.  So smooth, flowing and peaceful...It's almost entrancing.  This is the kind of song that can have quite an impact on a person.  It's sad, but at the same time, hopeful.  It couldn't be more fitting, as this kind of tone becomes a motif throughout much of the game.  Final Fantasy X's intro captures the entire essence of a 30 hour experience without even breaking a sweat.

What the Player is Thinking:  "I'm not sure whether I want to cry or smile...Oh, that's right, I still need to start the game..."


#1: Kingdom Hearts


I did say that pianos have a special place in my heart, right?  Yeah, this is no exception.  I suppose the reason why this theme is so awesome lies in the actual contents of the game.  Exploring Disney worlds and meeting characters from your childhood.  Fighting side-by-side with the likes of Tarzan, Goofy, and Dumbo.  Reuniting with friends while struggling to maintain bonds with others.  So much passion and emotion, along with simple nostalgic bliss. 

This theme encases all of that and releases it with simple, deliberate keystrokes that resonate with a person's heart.  I'll never forget this song, and neither will anyone else who has ever heard it.

What the Player is Thinking:  "Oh, so this is the kind of stuff I'm going to be hearing after I die?..."

2 comments:

  1. 1. Final Fantasy VIII

    ReplyDelete
  2. From this bunch I choose Ocarina of Time. Simple, touching and mysterious.

    VanillaLake

    ReplyDelete

You. Yes you, with the keyboard and the dead-eyed stare. Did you like the article? Despise it? Let me know in the comments. Be it good or bad, feedback will eventually inspire me to suck less.